Monday, June 16, 2014

A Three True Outcome Percentage Dedication: Tony Gwynn

Baseball Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn passed away this morning at age 54. Even though I can predict how my "Three True Outcome Percentage" will view him, I still wanted to put his numbers through the formula, if only as a unique dedication of sorts. I also think it will expose my statistic as a weak indicator of great hitters, but that feels moot right now.

Without further ado, here's a reminder of the formula for TTOP: Strikeouts+Walks+Home Runs/Plate Appearances

Tony Gwynn's Career Numbers:

434 strikeouts+790 walks+135 home runs/10,232 plate appearances= .133 Career TTOP

Gwynn is noted, and rightfully so, for his lack of strikeouts. Go ahead, take a second look at that number....434 strikeouts in 20 seasons and never more than 40 in any season. In the 16 seasons he had at least 440 plate appearances with the Padres, Gwynn struck less than 20 times eight times. 

A lack of strikeouts and home runs obviously drags Gwynn down in the eyes of TTOP. One of main shortcomings of the statistic has now been shown, since there's no argument that Gwynn was one of the greatest hitters of his generation and the fact he didn't hit a ton of home runs does not diminish that. 

No comments:

Subscribe To All The Balls On Substack

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a sportswriter based in Minnesota, and I contribute currently to a few sports related websites. I intend to use this blog to create visibility for my work.

Followers